Driving can arise anger, anxiety and stress in all of us. In stead of letting it lessen our mood instead we can approach it in complete mindfulness so that we come out happier and relaxed. Here’s how:
- Turn of the music/radio and experience the silence/lack of distraction
- Roll down the windows(if applicable to present circumstances)
- Feel the wind gliding across your face
- Hear the sounds of cars, wind, birds, or whatever it is.
- Feel the sensation of your foot on the gas or brake
- Feel the pressure of your hands on the steering wheel
- If someone cuts you off, or is driving recklessly
- Be aware of the anger or stress that arises because if you don’t feed the anger it will soon cease to exist
- Become aware of the emotions that arise
- Drive slower to relieve stress
- Maybe a few miles under the speed limit
- Become aware of all the traffic around you
- Use all your mirrors to develop and better awareness of reality at the present moment
Most importantly: Smile because you have the privilege of driving a car in the first place.