Mindset – The new Psychology of success is a book about how we think and how it hinders or helps our performance in life, business, sports, school etc. The whole book talks about the FIXED MINDSET VS. GROWTH MINDSET.
- People with the fixed mindset tend to believe or do the following:
- Your ability is set in stone and you can’t really improve upon it.
- Shy away from challenges because they take failure really seriously.
- Talent is all there is and all there will ever be.
- Effort is worthless.
- Tend to take criticism very seriously and let it effect them as a person.
The growth mindset is the goal. It’s where you want to be, if you can have the growth mindset then you will reach higher levels of achievement than people with the fixed mindset.
The growth mindset includes believing that:
- Effort will gives you results.
- Challenges help you grown.
- Learn from their failures and grow from them
- Learn from criticism
This is just the beginning of the journey into the fixed and growth mindset. These short lists are just a few of the things people in the fixed and growth mindset believe.
My thoughts on the book:
This book is very repetitive. It hammers the same point across again and again, insuring that you won’t forget what they’re telling you. The whole book merely tells you what these mindsets are and then finally in the last few pages it tells you specifically how to change mindset and work to become a more growth minded person.
Mindset is a book that could be conveyed in about a quarter the amount of pages that they wrote it with, but the points they’re giving are very valid and life changing.
If you want to read a book with a plethora of examples relating to the same topic then this is the book for you.Otherwise, I would just read summaries from others because you could probably understand what the author is trying to convey. I would suggest reading my notes from this book which are linked here. Click Here for my Notes on the Book.